I actually ended up writing down my ideas for making a stand-alone game like this, though I'll probably never get around to actually making it, I thought why not post what I came up with! So without further ado, I give you "Diaper-clad Gnome Death Race: The Game (For Shadow)"
Gnome Death Race
A common sight, naked gnome about to die!
Possible multiple game modes:
- First to reach the finish line, no other criteria.
- Least amount of deaths en route.
- Most ...treasure collected? < Don't worry about this unless the game is fully functional already.
- "Survival mode" - you have one life, how far can you get? (measure either distance or time)
- Time to reach finish line, plus a penalty for amount of deaths...
- This may be too similar to a mix of the first two
- "Super Survival mode" (Gauntlet) - You have one life, plus you're being swarmed like crazy.
- Every enemy that gets removed from the screen generates some sort of boost...
- Pick a character - names like "Shaddohsmelz" and so forth
- Unlock heroes like Shadowsmallz, Michrowave, and "The OG Shadow"
- ...These unlockables are even more slightly faster?
- Bird's Eye view of the area...
- There should be a fairly limited visibility, compared to how big the race is.
- Your character is always in the middle of the screen
- This provides good visibility in front of and behind for fairness
- Time (Current & High Score?), Deaths (when in sv mode, just display "SURVIVE!"), ...health?
- Start in a safe area ...with several contestants? (ripe for MP functionality)
- At the beginning of the race, enemies are few and far between, and slower.
- As you progress through, they become more and more common until it's almost certain death
- Up/down/left/right moves the character
- There is no way to attack or defend.
- The player should be *slightly* faster than enemies (like by 3 px/frame at most)
Here was the finish line, yes, those are gnome bones.
- That way, it's possible to move ahead not only by dying
- If/when the player dies, they will have to regenerate in place (3-5 second penalty)
- The clock does not stop while this happens (the race happens in real-time)
- ...Possible powerups?
- Use on pickup, or save and use whenever? Probably save and use with a key.
- Speed boost
- Slow down or outright freeze enemies
- Burn up all onscreen enemies
- Push away enemies - just move them directly away from the player about 80px
- In-game taunts- press a key to blurt out a taunt to the other players
- example: Press "1" for "Suck my dust!"